The castle-shelter of Ghemme was built between the eleventh and fifteenth century on the initiative of the inhabitants themselves, to cope with the raids and looting of the French and Spanish and as a refuge for the population, for animals and foodstuffs. In 1467, the Duke of Milan Galeazzo Maria Sforza was hosted, to conclude the rivalries opened for some years with the Duchy of Savoy by signing the peace of Ghemme.
The visit will be enlivened by the tasting of the wines of the house and accompanied by local gastronomic products.
According to an ancient legend, in the fourth century AD San Giulio, began to erect Christian churches to fight paganism. He arrived on the lake and was fascinated to contemplate the island, which - they say - was infested with dragons and snakes. Not finding a boat, he spread his own coat over the water and walked over it to the island. Driven by dragons and snakes with the sole force of the word, he began to build his hundredth church, in which he was later buried.
Located on the northern side of the central Piazza Motta, the Community Palace of Orta, also known as Broletto, was built in 1582. It is considered one of the symbols of the feudal state of the San Giulio Riviera, established in the 12th century: exercised legislative and executive power.