After a long debate about the most disparate means of joining the two parts of the city, in 1887 the project of the Emilian Alessandro Ferretti prevailed, which was also entrusted with the concession for the operation of the tram network of Bergamo. Therefore, a "va and vieni" type plant was built which, starting from Bergamo Bassa, crossed the Venetian walls and led into the heart of the Upper Town. The first ride of the funicular took place on September 1887.
Bergamo Alta is a medieval city, surrounded by ramparts erected in the 16th century, during the Venetian domination, which added to the pre-existing fortifications in order to make it an impregnable fortress. The most known and popular part is Piazza Vecchia, with the Contarini fountain, the Palazzo della Ragione, the civic tower defined by the architect Le Corbusier, the most beautiful square in Europe.
Located in the heart of Valcalepio, between Bergamo and Lake Iseo, the Castello di Grumello was erected as a military fortress in 1200 and later transformed into an aristocratic residence. The tower with Guelph battlements, the Hall of the Knights and the cellars are what remains of the medieval fortress, while the palace and chapel date back to 1700.
Since 1953 it belongs to the Reschigna Kettlitz family of Milan, which has given new impetus to the winemaking tradition of the territory of Grumello with the production of fine wines.
The production capacity of the company Il Castello di Grumello is about one hundred thousand bottles a year. The wines, all produced with their own grapes and vinified with the advice of enologist Paolo Zadra, mature in the Castello cellar, under whose centuries-old vaults coexist modern fermentation plants in stainless steel with traditional presses and barrels in fine woods.